Sunday, 1 May 2016

James' Take: Masquerade: The Baubles of Doom



Masquerade: The Baubles of Doom casual Action Indie game developed and produced by Big Ant Studios. Masquerade: The Baubles of Doom puts you in as a Jester named Jaxx and his companion Comedia, who have just found the map to the mythical Druid Orbs, 'the most desirable balls in all the land'. It is said that whomever possessed the orbs had the power to rule over all.

The Good Stuff
Masquerade has a relatively good story. It puts you straight into the action form the beginning, with you on the run from the Clown Army, an group of maniacs who are set on finding the Orbs. As Jaxx you are given the task to go and rescue Comedia after she is captured. The story was quite funny to me and I found myself laughing out loud at a few moments within the game (which is very hard to do for me).

The game also has a very different almost childish sense of humor, which personally I found quite interesting. You will often find yourself watching a cutscene from the clowns goofing about in their everyday business or making very subtle sex jokes. Jaxx himself is a wise cracking Jester who and I found some of his speech very cheesy but great at the same time.

For me, this game was very refreshing as recently I've been playing a lot of the Dark Souls franchise and more competitive online games, so to find a game as casual but funny as this was very good. I think a lot of gamers could benfit from finding more games like this just to relax on.

PC guys will be happy to know that there is a few extra graphical settings and you can very easily run this game at 60 fps on Ultra.

The Not-so-good Stuff
As good as this game is, of course their has to be some downsides. The combat in Masquerade was good at the start, with it slowly introducing combo moves and special attacks, but it became sort of boring after a little bit with no upgrades to your attacks except specials. Fighting the same waves of enemies multiple times in one area became a little bit stale after time.

Because I played on PC, I was also looking at how the port from consoles is. There was a few features I wish could have been added such as the ability to change your lock on target and the game felt like it was not for mouse and keyboard, but controllers at times.

There was one or two bugs I ran into, the most prominent of which was the auto lock on locking on to enemies in the next area from me (which was very irritating).

Conclusion
Masquerade for me was  a refreshing and relaxing little indie game with a great sense of humor and a good story.

"I would recommend this game to anyone who is looking for a relaxing indie game when they need to get away from it all."

No comments:

Post a Comment