Monday, 21 December 2015

James' Take - My Top 5 Games of the Year



   What a year of gaming it has been. From some surprising indie titles to some breathtaking Triple A releases, 2015 has been one of the best yet. Some amazing games have been released this year, so I'll be narrowing it down to my Top 5 games of 2015

1. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt


   The Witcher 3. Undeniably one of the greatest role playing games comes to an epic finale in the Witcher 3, the end to the White Wolf's tale. As a fan of the book series and the previous titles, I thoroughly enjoyed this game, from it's expansive and beautiful open world to its fluid combat system, the Witcher 3 was one of my favourite games of this year. Despite the low re-playability factor, you can easily squeeze at least 60 hours out of this game due to the plentiful amount of Main and Side quests. There are also Witcher contracts you can take up to keep your pockets filled with gold.

2. Fallout 4


   This game was obviously going to be on at least one of our lists, so I'll start it off. Fallout 4 for me was the answer to years of praying for a new Fallout game. It's impressive branching storyline and open world had me going for hours on end, losing track of time. Bethesda really poured all of their heart and soul into this game which is evident in the countless hours you can spend in the Wasteland. Say what you like about it, but Fallout 4 was definitely one of my Games of the Year.

3. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain


   After playing the previous titles in the series earlier this year, I decided to pick up Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain. I must say, I was not disappointed. This was the first time that Metal Gear has tried to do a fully open world, and it worked so well for them. It allowed the user to deploy from an Aerial Command Center straight into a mission or into the field to perform side-ops. It gave a real sense of freedom, along with the Mother Base customisation and buddies system.

4. Star Wars Battlefront


   I've already talked for two articles about this game, so I'll keep it snappy. EA's controversial reboot of the Battlefront series came out a couple of months ago, and I love it. Despite the criticism it received over not living up to the glory of the original games, I liked it for what it was. Battlefield in the Star Wars Universe. Utilising Singlepayer challenges, Multiplayer modes and Split screen co-op battles sold this game to me and allowed it to be one of my Games of the Year.

5. Halo 5: Guardians


   Halo is a series that is very close to my heart, I absolutely love it, so when i got the opportunity to play through Halo 5, I took it. The Campaign was very well written, with the Chief going rogue and Spartan Locke hunting him down. Some old faces from the books and previous games also made an appearance, which made me quite happy. The new squad system was also an interesting but not unwelcome addition, which allowed the player to command their own squad on the move. I would definitely recommend this game and it is my final Game of the Year.

No comments:

Post a Comment