Tuesday, 1 December 2015

Carlo's Take: Nostalgia - The Bane of Games, Old and New


So recently I had started playing quite a few "older" games. I'm not talking about games that came out last year, or the year before that, but the games of the Golden Age...The PS2 Era i.e. "when games were better". Calling it "The Golden Age" however highlights those nostalgic feelings towards that time, and its what, in my honest opinion, makes replaying games from those times worse.
Using a PS2 emulator and the Dualshock 4 I managed to play games from my childhood like Crash Bandicoot and Ratchet and Clank, and while playing a startling thought occurred: are these games worse now? But then, I took a gander at games I didn't get a chance to play during my time on the Playstation 2, like Shadow of The Colossus, and that game was excellent! So it wasn't the games' fault...

Then it had become clear to me. We'd been blinded like flash-bangs from the past blew up in our face. We romanticize things played when we were younger because we were, figuratively speaking, "in our prime" and had no worries whatsoever.

That leads us to think that the games of that time were damn near perfect compared to now. Truth be told, the selection here is different definitely, with more colorful, cartoon looking games rather than all these damn shooters. And although I would like to have more variety nowadays, just because they're old doesn't mean they're good, and you have to judge games on the basis of just that, the game.

 Just because the graphics aren't as good as today's standards doesn't mean they didn't blow people away when they first came out, and the gameplay of most games may have been pretty unique in that day and age. Age doesn't affect quality, development and publishers affect quality.

So, what I'm trying to say is: try everything, you never know what you might like, but beware, going back to games of old may not be how you remember them!

No comments:

Post a Comment